3rd gear rumble

To discuss servicing, repairs, faults with your R36
Yaddy69
Great Britain

3rd gear rumble

Postby Yaddy69 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:58 pm

Hi guys,

Not long owned my r36 and started to hear a rumble in third gear which goes in every other gear...

Gears work fine no slip and goes like sh*t through them. It just generates a rumble in third gear any ideas what it could be??
Also there is a bearing clashing noise coming from the front drivers side wheel. Press the brake ever so slightly and it sounds like lots of small bearings hitting each other. I think it's a wheel bearing but garage doesn't think so as they cannot hear it (is an old guy). When stationary put on full lock and slowing go back or forward and you can hear the bearing jingle.... any ideas chaps??

Ps sorry for the long message.

Alan R36
Great Britain

Re: 3rd gear rumble

Postby Alan R36 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:04 pm

Hiya Yaddy , did you buy it private or from a dealer, in which case was it not pick up on mot , my mechatronic unit failed on my gearbox but that controls the shifts, usually from stationary it would bang when setting off in 1st, so its not that . Take the wheel off and check that a small stone or pebble hasn't caught in the dust shield, cheers Alan
The Devil is in the Detail :twisted:

Yaddy69
Great Britain

Re: 3rd gear rumble

Postby Yaddy69 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:14 pm

Hi Alan, bought it private.

It's jerks when booting it from idle unless I let it bite gently of the engine revs then go but it isnt brutal. Definitely not banging. Luke I say all gears work as they should.... maybe just wear and tear??

I'll collect a mechanic again to listen to the wheels as it defo does not sound like a stone but will keep you posted.

Bloody quick car though :lol

Return to “R36 Servicing, Repairs and Faults”