Uneven Chatter on cold start and chafing/grinding on hot start

General R36 related chat
stevealexc

Uneven Chatter on cold start and chafing/grinding on hot start

Post by stevealexc » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:11 pm

Hi, guys, not going to lie, my R36 has been a complete nightmare from start to finish. anyway, I had to replace the DSG box as mine (under 50,000 miles) was full of water for whatever reason. Ever since this was done I've had an uneven chatter coming out of the wheel arches on a cold start and on a hot start I get an rough chafing/griding sound until out of 1st then it goes away.... VW insist that the chatter is normal and the hot start issue is difficult to replicate as it only does it 30% of the time and OBVIOUSLY wont do it when VW have it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers dudes

*AJ*

Re: Uneven Chatter on cold start and chafing/grinding on hot start

Post by *AJ* » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:18 pm

What's an uneven chatter?

Where did you source the box from? Sounds like it's not that healthy!

How long have you owned the car and what other problems have you had? A bit of background may help a little....
.:R36 Estate

SUBVERSIONAUT

Post by SUBVERSIONAUT » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:09 pm

Sorry for the delayed reply, turns out the rough chatter was the flywheel, thats been replaced now.

Okay so I've had a new Gearbox from VW brand new installed for a year and a bit.

The chattering has come back slightly but no where near as bad as it was, however, now to accompany the chafing/gridning noise on a hot start the car was juddering when putting away softly in first.

Could the grinding be the timing chain or the starter motor?

it also does the chain rattle on start until the pressure is built then start smooth after that.

Seriously at a loss and im tired of giving VW money to not find anything :(

Thanks

SUBVERSIONAUT

Post by SUBVERSIONAUT » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:09 pm

Im Stevealexc btw, couldnt get in to that account because apparently the email address doesn't exist

Alan R36

Post by Alan R36 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:09 pm

Sounds like timing chain tensioner to me very rarely it had happened to me , I turn it off and on again then it's fine . You can check tension with vagcom
The Devil is in the Detail :twisted:

*AJ*

Post by *AJ* » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:56 am

I’ve never come across one that isn’t a little rattly on start up. They should settle down, and go quiet. If it doesn’t then the tensioner will be sticking and would need attention.
.:R36 Estate